Monday 8 August 2011

The bitterest pill

Two Fridays ago I saw my GP for the results of my diet and lifestyle choices expecting to hear some improvement but guess what? Nada. Nothing. No change at all. My FSH is stubbornly stuck at 73. Not only that but my blood pressure had risen too. Damnit!

As there's some major changes going on at work and some hot weather, my rate of flushes and night sweats had also increased leaving me in such a strung out state I did the unthinkable and said "ok, I give in, give me some HRT". That was the one thing my GP agreed on, to use HRT and not the pill. So I'm now on Premique continuous pills.

On the following Monday, with the Premique having done nothing to alleviate the flushes and reading in the information that it wouldn't for several weeks(!), I went back and got myself some Clonidine too. Clonidine had apparently stopped the flushes dead in a normally menopausal colleague at work within a couple of days so for me, that sounded like manna from Heaven. Clonidine, isn't hormonal, it "prevents the dilatation of blood vessels and subsequent increased blood flow to the skin, which causes hot flushes in post-menopausal women." ( from Netdoctor here). A week later and several degrees below the hot temperatures of last week, it does seem to have reduced my daytime flushes but I still have plenty of night sweats.

I feel like a failure in a way for allowing myself to give up and go on the HRT but having been in such a horrible state with mood swings, tears, flushes making me feel ill and back trouble that won't clear up very quickly - indeed, nerves in my legs and back seem incredibly easily irritated - I have forgiven myself for the decision. Sometimes it all gets too much and I just couldn't function day-to-day anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment